Air Traffic Management (ATM) department is the department under Air Navigation Service (ANS) Directorate of Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (CAAN).
ATM Department is established to take initiation for operation, management and supervision of Air Traffic Service (ATS), Search & Rescue (SAR) and Air Space Management for all those airspace and Airports within Nepalese Airspace in lieu with ICAO standard and national regulations for safe, smooth and reliable aviation activities. The major functions of this department are follows:
- Preparing plans, procedures and programmes related to Air Traffic Services (ATS) as prescribed by ICAO to all domestic and international airlines for each and every phase of flight within Nepalese Airspace: ATS automation, ATFM, ATC Capacity etc.
- Establishment of new PBN routes & revision of ATS routes & procedures taking into account with ICAO and nation’s requirements to enhance safety, efficiently and regular flow of air traffic with in Nepalese airspaces.
- Review, develop and coordinate regarding Instrument Departure, Approach control areas, control zones, Flight Information Zone and changes thereof in consultation with ATS Units & airline operators.
- Providing Search and Rescue co-ordination for aircraft in distress.
- Monitor and control of obstructions/constructions around airport to ensure compliance with the SARPs of ICAO in coordination with other departments.
- Manpower planning, training and award of ratings to Air Traffic Controllers in conformity with ICAO rules and regulations.
- Monitoring of standards and procedures in the provision of Air Traffic Services.
- Other matters related to aviation safety.